Surrounding the castle is the Dysert O’Dea Archeology Trail (4km) containing 25 original field monuments, this can be walked or driven.
Dysert Homepage Dysert O'Dea Castle Archaeology Trail Location and Times Links Contact Us
 
The Clare Archaeology Centre
Church on Archaeology Trail Archaeology Trail Walk

Archaeology Trail

Surrounding the castle is the Dysert O’Dea Archeology Trail (4km) containing 25 original field monuments, this can be walked or driven. The monuments date from 1000bc to 1850ad and include two Romanesque churches, the famous 12th century illuminated doorway and high cross of Dysert O’Dea, two 15th century tower houses, 1st millenium stone and earthen forts, holy wells, fulachta fiadh, proselytising schools, landlords houses, medieval roads and many more. These are shown and explained on the guide and map available at the castle.

The trail is open all year round and the castle from May to September inclusive. For further information phone 065 - 6837401

Archaeology Trail Graveyard Archaeology Trail Church Archaeology Trail memorial Archaeology Trail Arch

 

Walking Trails
There are two walking trails around various monuments, these being;

(a) Short (300m)
This takes in the 12th century illuminated high cross;
12th century, ruined abbey with elaborate Romanesque doorway;
12th century round tower;
sacred well;
medieval graveyard.

(b) Long (5km)
This walk takes in Rath castle (ruined 15th century); Archaeology Trail Map
a Rath Romanesque church ( ruined 12th century);
Rath Bláthmhaic (Medival Eathen forth);
Cathair Mhic Gormáin (Medieval Stone Fort);
Cathair Mhic Eoghain (Medieval Stone Fort);
St. Tolas Well;
Proselytising school (ruined 1823);
Dysert Parish church (1861);
Landlords Lodge (1861, ruined);
Medieval road to stone forts;
Fulachta Fiadh - (ancient cooking places);
Landlords House (1760);
Landagents House (1770);
Battlefield - Dysert O’Dea 1318;
Drumcaran - Medieval Earthen Fort;
Banquet Hall (c.1520 in ruins)

Archaeology Trail Conofin

 
 
Dysert O'Dea Archaeology Centre